We got to Rhode Island Monday night, and Tuesday morning we were calling people about apartments. John and I each called someone and multiple times during the conversation had to say, "What? Sorry, can you repeat that?" I've been to Boston twice and barely heard the Boston accent, but in Rhode Island so far every native I've talked to has an accent. John and I started getting a little self-conscious because as soon as we opened our mouths everyone knew we were not from here. We stick out.
Some things we've been able to decipher so far...
- They drop the letter "R."
- Ka= Car
- Supah= Super
- Tiyad= Tired
- Smaht= Smart
- But sometimes they attach "R" to other words
- Ideer= Idea
Carriage= Grocery Cart
I'm sure there's others we haven't heard yet since it's only been 2 weeks.
Ooh mah gash. You'll just lowve bein theyah!
ReplyDeleteHmm, I wonder if you two will end up with a little bit of an accent if you live there for a long time. Maybe your kids will!
ReplyDelete