Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Day 3: The Final Stretch

Growing up my family went on our fair share of road trips. We usually went to Utah, but we also drove to Montana, Illinois,Ohio, Missouri, and Washington D.C. from Texas. With 6 kids in the car I'm sure my parents wanted to pull their hair out sometimes, but instead my dad popped in the Joseph Smith tapes.

What are the Joseph Smith tapes? The Joseph Smith tapes are a lecture series about Joseph Smith given by Truman G. Madsen who was a very well known religion professor @ BYU. He has a very nice, soothing voice. These tapes would wake my dad up as he drove, and would knock out all 6 kids as soon as it went in. Sometimes when I couldn't sleep on a road trip I would request the Joseph Smith tapes because I knew they would do the trick and they never failed. That's a little parenting tip for road trips. :)

As an adult, I wanted to know if I could actually stay awake and listen to the Joseph Smith tapes on our trip. When you're in the car for 3 days music gets a little old, so they tapes helped break it up a bit. John and I only listened to 2 (out of 8) of the tapes, but they were awesome. Seriously, as a kid I was missing out. If you want an easy way to learn a lot about early Church history and Joseph Smith listen to those lectures. You can get them on CD now, or put them on an iPod. There was only a couple of times when I dosed off while listening, but that's because I was genuinely tired.

On day 3 we drove through Ontario, Canada and entered the United States @ Niagara Falls. We were going to stop @ the falls, but didn't know how to get there and didn't want to waste too much time trying to figure it out. For most of the day we were driving though Upstate New York, which is gorgeous! It seemed appropriate to listen to the Joseph Smith tapes as we passed Palmyra.

After 707 miles we finally made it to Rhode Island! We were so excited, and then our next mission was to find a place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment