Wednesday, May 15, 2013

America's Downton Abbey

John and I had a couple of free days before we could move into our new apartment. I know, I haven't said anything about our apartment yet, but that's next... after I take some pictures and tidy it up. Instead of sitting around in our awesome hotel we decided to take a day trip down to Newport! The picture that is the background of this blog is of Newport.

Newport is on an island and was the summer hot spot for New York's rich and famous in the late 1800s and through the turn of the century. If you watch Downton Abbey their American Grandma was from Newport. JFK and Jackie O were even married there! It's a cute town with all it's "cottages" and the ocean views are fabulous! If you come and visit us we'll definitely take you there.

John enjoying the ocean view

We found this old abandoned house. It was really cool. There were some college kids walking around in it and making out. So maybe this house is like Newport's Inspiration Point or something? Personally, I'd pick a location that might not crumble while I'm in it, but that's just me. 

Top view of the house, seen from the tower below.

We had no idea what this tower was for. There's a door on the other side, and this thing is just empty and hollow.

Doing a little climbing on this crazy tree.

Unfortunately the bushes hadn't grown back yet, but the flowers were pretty.

This is the back of the Vanderbuilt's Cottage "The Breakers." You can take tours of some of the mansions, but we didn't want to spend any money. Some other time. 


This is the Castle Hill lighthouse. Apparently at sunset  the view is spectacular, but we didn't want to sit around for 2 hours waiting. Clark when you come we can hit up this lighthouse at sunset!
The Old Stone Mill- This stone structure is kind of a mystery.  People argue about it's origin. Most people say it's just an old mill used by early settlers. Others claim this structure is pre-Columbian. And some wackos think that aliens put this structure here for communication purposes or something like that. I read about the different theories online before we went to see it and John and I expected to find a plaque or something. It's just in the middle of a small park, no plaque, no identification, which made it more mysterious and cool. 




While in Newport John and I kind of splurged on our lunch/dinner. We ate at a restaurant called The Red Parrot. I don't really like seafood, but since we live in the ocean state I've decided that I need to give it a second chance. I ordered grilled Mahi-Mahi with mango salsa and John ordered crab cakes. I had no idea how much that boy loved crab. He was pretty giddy after he ordered. It was kind of a pricey meal, but oh so delicious and definitely worth every penny.

That's New England Adventure #1.

2 comments:

  1. A) I bet the empty tower was Rapunzel's. Just saying.
    B) I am going to come visit you. No idea when but I WILL COME!
    C) Why did you stand in the middle of the alien structure?!?! That's probably where the aliens BEAM PEOPLE TO THEIR SPACE SHIP!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well if I randomly disappear there will be proof that the stone mill was put there by aliens!

      Delete