Monday, June 17, 2013

The Newest Chesley

Introducing...


Walter!



Walter is our 10 week old Rough Collie puppy. We've had him for about a week. We bought him from a reputable breeder in Minnesota and he was flown here to Rhode Island. For years I've been waiting for a dog of my own and debated about whether I would adopt or get a puppy. Growing up I always had a dog, but this was going to be my first dog, so I wanted to get a puppy and test out my years of dog training preparation. 

The puppy guillotine. He doesn't like being left alone, even if we're just eating at the table 2 feet away. It's something we're working on.

John and I had a hard time coming up with a name for him. John said Sam, but I thought, no too typical. We thought about Duke, but that didn't seem right either. As we were driving to Salem, MA we passed the town of Waltham. John said, "What about Walt?" And I said, "What about Walter?" I'm usually against giving dogs people names, but if it was going to be a people name it needed to be an old man's name- something you don't hear everyday. Anyway, the name stuck.


Walter keeps us on our toes because when he is awake he is a very active pup.  With teething and his herding instincts he likes to play bite a lot and nip our heels sometimes when we walk. The play biting is improving and I'll be happy when he's done teething because he's constantly chewing.


He sleeps in funny positions sometimes. I just want to point out how adorable his paws are.


He was really hyper and was hiding underneath his mat. He's pretty silly.


His first bath. John and I were surprised at how skinny he looks when his coat his wet.

We really like Walter, even though he barks at every person he sees and chews on everything he can get his puppy teeth into. He already knows Sit, Down, and Stay. He's really smart, so hopefully that doesn't become a bad thing. Once he's had all his puppy shots he will be joining us on some of our adventures!


5 comments:

  1. it is pretty psycho that anyone in our family actually owns a dog. what have you done to us, Jackie?
    he does look cute though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do anything. John was just kind enough to let me get a dog.

      Delete
  2. I think my heart just exploded from all the cuteness! I am SO EXCITED for you to have your own dog!! I can't have long haired dog because of allergies but I am THRILLED that you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured you'd like him Cato. We really like him too, except sometimes when he's being a super hyper puppy. He can get a little crazy. I don't like that so much, but all the other puppy stuff I'm enjoying.

      Delete
  3. So cute! Hope we get to meet this little guy sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete