Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The Heretics Return to Witch City




On Saturday June 8th John and I drove up to Salem, MA to meet up with my former roommate Eliza and her husband Chris. They were in Massachusetts visiting her family and it was fun seeing friends from school. Before they arrived John and I found a cool, old cemetery. I love cemeteries and New England is full of them! It's great! Most of the tombstones in this cemetery were too old to read the names and dates, but the oldest date we saw was on a family tomb that said 1702.

I just want to point out how John is dressed in JUNE! The temperature fluctuates a lot and that week had been rainy and chilly.





When Chris and Eliza showed up we walked to the Witch House, which I forgot to take a picture of. Lame. It was the house of the magistrate during the Salem Witch Trials and is the only structure still standing in Salem with direct ties to the Witch Trials. It was pretty cool. When the tour guide found out we were from Rhode Island he said, "Oh you're coming back to where you were banished from." Being a history teacher I felt stupid for a second because I had completely forgotten that Rhode Island was founded because Roger Williams thought the Puritans were crazy and was banished. Okay, obviously John and I are not actually from Rhode Island, but it made the trip just a little cooler.

Me and Lizzlebee with Bewitched's Elizabeth Montgomery for our old roommate Elizabeth Montgomery.
After lunch we went to Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery which was a horror movie museum. It was set up like a haunted house, except it was a museum so I knew nothing would pop out, but sometimes it was creepy walking down a hallway by yourself. In the museum was a bunch of wax figures of characters in horror movies. It was fun. 


We ended our trip to Salem by briefly stopping at the House of the Seven Gables. We didn't have enough time to tour it unfortunately, but we did have enough time to stop at the oldest candy shop in America that was across the street. We got Black Jacks (molasses sticks), Sassafras Slugs, and a couple truffles. Salem was a cute town and I'm excited to go back in October because they go all out for Halloween. We'll also have to watch Hocus Pocus because Eliza and I kept referencing it and John had no idea what we were talking about. 




1 comment:

  1. I am slightly jealous that you guys got to spend some time together but I am SO happy you guys had fun. I'd love to go to Salem someday...Also, Hocus Pocus is a Halloween fav around our house. :)

    ReplyDelete