Friday, November 1, 2013

Fall Excursions- Days 1-3

At the beginning of October my oldest brother and his family came for a visit. Clark, Janelle, and little Benjamin made it to our house @ 3 a.m. We did a lot of fun things while they were in town and we saw a lot of New England. My next couple of posts will be dedicated to everything we did. 

First Stop was apple picking in Harvard, MA.

We picked Macoun, Empire, Jonagold, and Cortland apples. 

After we picked our apples we ate apple cider donuts and drank fresh apple cider. John didn't really like donuts, but now that he's had apple cider donuts that's changed. 

Then we went to Cambridge, MA and toured MIT with my cousin Lis, who's husband is a grad student there. We also popped on over to Harvard. 

Day 2- On our way to Maine we stopped at Marblehead, MA. It's a cute coastal town.

That night we stayed @ Old Orchard Beach, Maine. It was our first time in Maine and our first time eating lobster!

It was also Ben's first time eating lobster. I'm pretty sure he ate more than me. 

My lobster. I only ate one claw and a bite of the tail. It was kinda hard to get past him staring at me. I kept waiting for him to pop back to life. I didn't like the lobster enough to do all the work to eat it. I've decided that I like lobster as long as it's with something else.

Eating lobster like this is quite the experience, so everyone should try it at least once.

In Maine John and I camped. It rained all night and the tent got a little wet on the sides, but I stayed nice and dry. I was pretty proud of myself for sleeping on the ground as a pregnant lady. It wasn't the best nights sleep, but I survived.

John slept in his hammock because he hates tents and because the little 2 man tent was not big enough for all of us. Walter and I snuggled through the night. I didn't really like the dog smell, but he kept me warm so that made up for it.
Day 3- The beach! We let Walter run around off leash since no one was around. He had so much fun chasing seagulls, chewing crab shells, and herding us as we walked along the beach. I wish we had recorded him because it was pretty entertaining.

Portland Head Light- Before we stopped at this lighthouse we ate lunch at Duckfat. It's a soup & panini restaurant where they cook their fries in duck fat. It was one of the best lunches I've probably ever had.

After the lighthouse John & Walter headed back home because of work, so boring. The rest of us headed to White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am impressed sleeping in a tent while pregnant. I had a hard time sleeping at all while I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a pretty rough night, so who knows how much sleep I actually got.

      Delete