Thursday, May 15, 2014

Easter and Oma's visit

I'm a little behind in my posts. It's amazing how fast the days fly by with Ellie around. This year for Easter John and I made a feast. We had ham, rolls, fruit salad, jello salad, funeral potatoes, and made a trifle for dessert. As we sat down to eat our feast by ourselves we realized that we need some friends without kids. All of our friends have kids so it makes it hard to invite them over. Anyway, we ate a lot of food and it was all delicious. Maybe next year we'll invite someone over and share.


Easter outfit
The week after Easter John's mom visited us. It was her first time in Rhode Island and her first time meeting Ellie. We hung around the house most of the time watching Netflix. She took care of Ellie while I cleaned and gave Walter some much needed attention. It was a fun visit and on her last day here we took a trip down to Newport. I've been to Newport multiple times, but I hadn't gone inside the mansions. Well this time I finally did and it was awesome! Deb and I took an audio tour of the Elms which was owned by this rich coal baron, Julius Berwind. It was one of the first mansions to be preserved in Newport. In 1962 it was going to be torn down and turned into a parking lot because no one in the Berwind family wanted anything to do with it. Inside it was like being on the set of Downton Abbey. I still can't believe it almost got bulldozed because it was beautiful. While we were inside John and Ellie hung out on the grounds. It was a fun day trip and we were so glad that John's mom could come visit.


The back of the Elms




1 comment: